Frequently Asked Questions


To clarify eligibility requirements for the Route 66 Corridor Cost-Share Grants, the following sample questions/answers are provided. If you have any other questions about the eligibility of a project, please do not hesitate to email or call the program office at 505-988-6701.

Q: I understand that properties that are eligible for/listed on the National Register of Historic Places are considered a higher priority for grant funding. How can I find out if my property is eligible for/listed on the National Register?

A: Contact your State Historic Preservation Office to determine the property’s eligibility. In your grant application, be sure to include a letter from the State Historic Preservation Office stating its National Register eligibility or listed status.
Q: My historic cafe was built in 1955, but the road it is located on served as Route 66 from 1926-1950. Is it eligible for the grant program?

A: No. Eligible properties must have been in service on Route 66 during the time the road was commissioned as a US Highway. If you are uncertain of the commissioned dates of an alignment, contact the program office to help determine this information.
Q: Is the production of documentary or film an eligible project activity?

A: Planning and development of research, oral histories, interpretive or educational activities, including films, that directly advance the understanding and preservation of Route 66 are eligible project activities. In an application, it will be important to demonstrate the long-lasting and widespread use/public benefit of the film.
Q: I have a historic gas station located five blocks off of Route 66. Is it eligible for the grant program?

A: No. Eligible properties must be on or within view of a Route 66 alignment.
Q: I have a historic home that is located directly on Route 66. Is it eligible for the grant program?

A: Maybe. A domestic residences is not eligible unless it is well-documented that it was used as a tourist home or for other transportation-related commercial purposes during the time the Route 66 was a commissioned US Highway.
Q: We have a historic church located on the route. Are restoration efforts on a church eligible eligible for the grant program?

A: Like other “indirectly associated” properties that did not directly serve the traveler but were likely used by travelers (e.g., theaters, markets, public buildings, armories, landscape features), it is considered eligible though will be evaluated as a lower priority than “directly associated” properties (e.g., gas stations, motels, restaurants, bridges, etc.). Indirectly associated properties must date to the 1926-1985 period of historical significance and have a well-documented and significant association with Route 66.
Q: We are going to open a new Route 66 museum. Is the purchase of museum display cases an eligible project expense?

A: No. Display cases or new construction for museum installations are not eligible project expenses.
Q: The historic sign on our building is long gone, but we have pictures of what it looked like. Can we apply for a grant to build a reproduction of the sign?

A: No. Construction of new signs is not an eligible project activity.
Q: The gasoline pumps in front of our historic gas station were removed years ago. As part of the restoration of the station, is the purchase and installation of vintage gasoline pumps an eligible project expense?

A: No, the purchase and installation of vintage gasoline pumps are not an eligible project expense.
Q: Is the cost of new carpeting or furniture for a historic motel or restaurant eligible for grant funding?

A: No. Carpeting and furniture are considered part of the routine maintenance of a property, and are not eligible for grant funding. However, floor or other structural repairs, and infrastructure upgrades such as plumbing and electrical are eligible project activities.
Q: Can the monthly rent on a property serve as part of the cost-share match?

A: No. Rent is considered part of the routine maintenance of a site, and is not considered an eligible cost-share expense.
Q: Is a train-car or semi-truck and trailer considered an eligible historic property?

A: No. Rolling stock of any kind are not considered eligible historic properties for granting purposes.
Q: I would like to tint and/or add security bars to the windows of my historic building. Is this eligible for grant funding?

A: No. This is considered new construction and/or alteration to the historic appearance of a building, so is not an eligible activity for grant funding.