- Remove combustible materials away from structure
- Create a “safety zone,” depending upon surrounding tree species
- Remove all dead plants, shrubs, and trees
- Locate shrubs a min. 20 feet away from structure
- Select high-moisture plants that grow close to the ground
- Be sensitive to historic landscape features
- Cover exterior openings (vents, air intakes, etc.) with metal mesh screens
- Identify nearby water sources
- Add fire proof shutters to large windows
- On the interior, remove flammable materials or use fire resistant materials near window openings
- Ensure HVAC system will automatically shut off or reverse fans5
4“Protect Your Property from Fire”, FEMA, 25 Jan 2007.
5 Michael Trinkley, “Protecting Your Institution from Wild Fires”, Preservation Services Leaflet, SOLINET, 29 Jan 2007.