Navajo National Monument was established by President William Howard Taft on March 20, 1909. Earlier that year, William B. Douglass began recommending the establishment of the monument in order to protect the ruins for study by professionals. The ruins consist of a number of prehistoric cliff dwelling and pueblo ruins. Three separate sites (Betatakin, Keet Seel, and Inscription houses) make up the park. The park is a partnership between the Navajo Nationa and the National Park Service. While the sites are on federal land, the visitor center is on land leased from the Navajo. Additionally, many educational programs and other activities are done cooperatively between the two groups.
Archeologists have been involved in the park since before its establishment. Throughout the years, they have been instrumental in the discovery, excavation, inspection, and preservation of numerous intact floors, roofs, and hearths. Additionally they have discovered pots and other artifacts and ruins. For more information about Navajo National Monument, check out its website. For more information about archeology and other discoveries in the park, check out this link and the park’s virtual museum.