Arkansas Post National Memorial marks the site of “Post de Arkansae,” the first semi-permanent French settlement in the Mississippi River Valley. Henri de Tonti established the post in 1686 as a trading post at the Quapaw village of Osotouy. Throughout the years, the post served with strategic importance for the French, Spanish, American, and Confederate military. After becoming part of the United States in 1803, Arkansas Post continued to grow. By 1819, it was a thriving port, the largest city in the region, and selected as the first capital of the Arkansas Territory.
Arkansas Post National Memorial is one of several archeological park in Arkansas. Over the years, archeologists have conducted several studies to determine the various sites and uses of the post. Various organizations, including the Arkansas Archeological Society, have done work to learn more about the post. In 1997 and 1998, the Arkansas Archeological Society explored the part of the site thought to be the Quapaw town of Osotouy. Osotouy was the founding location of the post. Today, there are architectural footprints marking the locations of several buildings.
For more information about Arkansas Post National Monument, check out its website. For more information about its service as an archeological park, check out this report. To take a 3-D tour of Arkansas Post National Monument, check out this link.