- The American Trails Organization has a series of webinars available for purchase on topics such as “Water Trail Accessibility” and “Natural Surface Trails by Design”.
- Each year the Office of Learning and Development partners with the California State Parks Mott Training Center to offer a series of training in Trails Management to NPS employees. These classes will be advertised on this website and on Inside NPS.
- For the roads crews, L&D hosts a number of Heavy Equipment Operator Safety Training classes, put on by the Kentucky Safety Training Institute. Many of you know the Boys from Kentucky. They can come to your park and present information on how to handle heavy equipment more safely.
- The International Road Federation offers a series of training videos on road maintenance as well as other topics.
- The Minnesota Local Technical Assistance Program has an online course in Gravel Road Maintenance and Design.
- The Rural Technology Initiative offers a series of Road Management videos that we have embedded into our website.
- If you’re serious about heavy machinery, Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell MT is one of many schools that offer a degree in Heavy Equipment Operation.
- Need to know the NPS policy on signs? You can find them on the NPS UniGuide Sign Standards webpage.
- How about road and highway signs? Find the regulations from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Want to know more about the requirements for the job? Follow this link to view the standard Position Description Library, scroll down and click on the “All Wage Grade PD’s”. Scroll down and you’ll find PD’s for Equipment, Tractor and Motor Vehicle Operators as well as the Maintenance Worker (Trails). (Note: depending on a Park’s specific needs these PD’s may be modified for an actual job posting.)
Do you have a resource that would be valuable to this Program Area or is your team working on an interesting project? Leave a comment below and tell us about it so we can feature it on our site.
|Video: Grand Canyon Trails||05/15/2013|
|How to Make and Use a Water Level||05/13/2013|
|Forest Service Trail Accessibility Guidelines||05/01/2013|
|Day in the Life of a Grand Canyon Trail Worker||11/14/2012|
|Behind the Signs: A Look at the DOT Sign Shop||02/26/2013|
|Animal Packer (5001)||05/04/2012|
|Animal Caretaking (5048)||05/04/2012|
|Advanced Trails Training with the California State Parks||12/11/2012|
|There are currently no News & Events category posts|
|There are currently no Training category posts|
|There are currently no Sustainability category posts|
|There are currently no Professional Organizations category posts|
|There are currently no Health & Safety category posts|
|There are currently no Reference Materials category posts|