BETA

Rustic Buff

Submitted by Raven Mueller on Wed, 2014-07-09 15:44
Stone Type (Commercial): 
Quarry: 
Availability: 
Available
Physical Data
Color: 
Munsell Color(s): 
Geology
Grain Shape: 
Subrounded
Rounded
Grain Sorting: 
Poorly-Sorted
Grain Size: 
Coarse
Medium
Petrographic Description: 

Specimen: 2014-030
This specimen is a fossiliferous limestone. The limestone is grain supported and has a sparite cement matrix much of it originating as syntaxial overgrowth. Allochems constitute about 85 percent of slide area. These criteria define the limestone as a grainstone. Allochem composition is about 85 percent bioclast. A mix of mostly peloids, intraclasts, and a lesser amount of ooids comprise the remaining 15 percent. These estimates and degree of sorting classify this limestone as a rounded biosparite. Most all bioclasts have micritic envelopes, especially foraminifera. Identifiable bioclasts are mostly echinoderm parts; foraminifera, mollusk bivalve and univalve, bryozoan, brachiopod, and calcispheres are also present. Maximum dimension of echinoderms is approximately 4 mm and the modal size is around 1.5 to 2.5 mm. Maximum dimensions of other bioclasts is as follows: foraminifera 1 mm, bivalve 2.8 mm, univalve .8 mm, bryozoan 2 mm, brachiopod 1.8 mm, and calcispheres .6 mm. Maximum peloid/ooid size is around 1 mm, the modal size is near .5 mm. Secondary quartz is present in appreciable amounts, but less than 1 percent of slide area. Quartz is often in chalcedony-fibrous forms as intergrowths within allochems. Extant voids constitute about 3 percent of slide area. Voids are almost uniformly interparticle with a modal maximum dimension around .3 mm. Small amounts of iron hydroxides are present, mostly as thin rinds on intraclasts and foraminifera surfaces. The degree of allochem preservation indicates this limestone was lithified before significant compaction.
MP 7/21/2015

Images

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID
2014-030 Image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Close-up image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Close-up image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image

Thin Sections

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID Non-polarized Cross-polarized
2014-030 Specimen shown in non-polarized light.download image Specimen shown in cross-polarized light.download image

Quarry

NOTE: Quarry locations are approximate.

Evans Quarry
Palestine Rd.
47421 Bedford , Indiana
United States
38° 48' 53.1" N, 86° 28' 33.888" W
Indiana US

Report an Issue

CAPTCHA
Type the words or phrase shown below to verify that you are not a robot.