BETA

Lueders, Buff R.B.

Submitted by Raven Mueller on Tue, 2014-07-08 08:47
Trade Name Alias: 
Stone Type (Commercial): 
Availability: 
Available
Physical Data
Color: 
Munsell Color(s): 
Absorption (%): 
4.80
Density (lb/cf): 
141.70
Flexural Strength, Dry (psi): 
1,154
Flexural Strength, Wet (psi): 
896
Modulus of Rupture, Dry (psi): 
1,361
Modulus of Rupture, Wet (psi): 
884
Compressive Strength, Dry (psi): 
9,870
Compressive Strength, Wet (psi): 
6,629
Geology
Stone Type (Lithologic): 
Chronostratigraphy: 
Rock Unit: 
Grain Shape: 
Subrounded
Rounded
Grain Sorting: 
Poorly-Sorted
Grain Size: 
Coarse
Medium
Petrographic Description: 

Specimen: 2014-016
This specimen is a fossiliferous limestone. The limestone is grain supported with a predominantly sparite cement matrix, but micrite is locally abundant. These criteria define the limestone as a grainstone, although some variation in texture occurs across the slide. Allochems comprise around 70 percent of slide area. Allochem composition is about 80 percent peloid. Some of these peloids may actually be intraclasts. The remaining 20 percent is composed of diverse bioclasts. These estimates and degree of sorting characterize the limestone as a poorly washed pelsparite. Mollusk species predominate, including univalve and bivalve. Foraminifera, calcispheres and possibly other algae species are also present. Maximum dimensions for bioclasts are as follows: bivalve 2.5 mm, univalve 1.5 mm, calcispheres .25 mm, and foraminifera .6 mm. Calcispheres are often filled with druzy sparite and retain some void space. There is a significant range in peloid size, the maximum size is indistinct due to locally abundant micrite, the minimum is .04, most are between .2 and .4 mm. The size range of most peloids suggest a faecal origin. The slide also contains rare authigenic quartz, far less than 1 percent of slide area, with a maximum dimension of .1 mm. Most quartz grains are .04 to .08 mm in size. One collophane fragment of presumably biological origin was noted. Staining from iron hydroxides (limonite) is fairly common and imparts a yellowish color to the hand sample. Extant voids are very rare except for occasional interparticle examples. The degree of allochem preservation suggests relatively minimal compaction prior to lithification.
MP 7/21/2015

Images

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID
2014-016 Image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: Split-faced download image Image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: Split-faceddownload image

Thin Sections

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID Non-polarized Cross-polarized
2014-016 Specimen shown in non-polarized light.download image Specimen shown in cross-polarized light.download image

Quarry

NOTE: Quarry locations are approximate.

Lueders Limestone Co. Quarry
14752 State Highway 6
79533 Lueders , Texas
United States
32° 47' 13.1352" N, 99° 35' 50.568" W
Texas US

Report an Issue