Metairie Cemetery

Metairie Cemetery

The NPS course code is NPS-HPS1022 and this TelNPS course is offered on April 23, 2009 from 12:00 PM to 2:30 PM.

Please ensure you have registered for this course.

This course emphasizes sound maintenance techniques for cemetery and commemorative monuments that are sustainable, cyclic, non-invasive, and do no harm.

The course will address documentation, maintenance plans, stone deterioration, cleaning, and resetting headstones.

Learners will be able to design surveys, create long-term plans, understand deterioration mechanisms, implement basic resetting techniques and choose appropriate cleaners for stones.

Course Objectives: After this workshop, learners should be familiar with:

• Causes and effects of stone deterioration;
  • Ethics of conservation treatment strategies;
  • The use of a long-term maintenance plan.

Additionally, the learner will be able to:

• Perform visual inspection of headstones;
  • Document the condition of grave markers;
  • Carry out basic cleaning of some stones;
  • Stabilize and reset small monuments with few complications.

Target Audience:

1. Maintenance staff and personnel responsible for the care of historic cemeteries
  2. Cultural Resource Specialists who oversee the care of stone monuments, including grave markers and commemorative monuments
  3. Archeologists assigned the responsibility for care and maintenance of grave sites or cemeteries
  4. Architectural and/or objects conservators

Note: Department of Interior employees can register for this course at https://doilearn.doi.gov/. Approximately two weeks after this course airs, NCPTT will make it available for download on our web site.

Tagged with →
Share →

9 Responses to Essentials for Cemetery Monument Care TelNPS

1. Jeff says:

How do I register for the telnps

2. NCPTT says:

If you are nearby a National Park that has TEL capabilities, you may be able to view the broadcast the day it is aired. Check with your nearest National Park Service office for details.

3. Stella in Indiana says:

To make a long story short. The cemetery where all my loved ones, friends etc. as well as where my husband and I will be buried is an absolute mess. It is awful. I want to clean gravestones. I need to be educated in doing this. I have been doing a lot of reading and finding information on the internet and at the library. There is no better training than hands on. Do you happen to know where I can get some hands on training for cleaning headstones or markers? I would like for it to be as close to my home as possible. I live at:
    1107 Ashland Ave.
    New Whiteland, Indiana 46184
    Phone (317) 535-9134
    Respectfully,
    Stella in Indiana

• Jason Church says:

Dear Stella,
      NCPTT is offering a Cemetery Monument Basics class on June 4, 2010 at Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis. The workshop is limited to 40 participants and will cover lectures on cemetery documentation, condition assessments, and cleaning techniques. This will be followed by hands-on cleaning demonstrations in the cemetery. For more information and registration contact http://www.crownhill.org.

4. Darlene Kotelnicki says:

I am chair of our Heritage Preservation Commission. Another member, on the city council, and I are doing an inventory of our 1860 cemetery. We have no standard forms in MN so we researeched what other states have done and made our own form. It has the city data, a plot survey, (including marker) and photos of each marker. We are not quite half done with the 4800+ graves.
    Our goal is to complete the plot survey by fall and then refine city data over the winter months. We want to use this as data for a grant to improve our cemetery.
    Do you have any suggestions for us? We have an Eagle Scout working on some forms for proper cleaning, supplies needed, technique, etc. He will clean about 20 gravestones with the Scouts later this summer and provide his handouts to the HPC.
    I tried to download some of your information but could not. Also the PDF file about cleaning stones. He would like reputable resources for his project. If you have a video or something he could use as part of his training it would be appreciated.
    Darlene Kotelnicki, Litchfield MN

5. Jamie Kuhns says:

When is the next Cemetery Monument Basics class? Can non-NPS/DI employees take these cemetery preservation courses or at least access the video via the web? If so, how does one go about it, either scenario? I was told there was a possibility such training might be available in Frederick, Maryland – is that accurate?

• Jason Church says:

Jamie,
      Anyone can attend NCPTT training events and we welcome people from all background. A diverse participant group often increases the learning experience. The next CMC Basics class will be this spring in Geneva, Wisconsin. These classes are not broadcast on the web but there are a few older webinars and TEL classes about cemetery preservation archived on our website. You can also email be directly jason_church@contractor.nps.gov and I can send you a DVD copy of those. If you are interested in a CMC Basic closer to your area let me know. We generally teach 2-3 a year in different locations around the country where we have a host partner.